Monday, February 1, 2010

Paper feeding

There are essentially 4 ways of feeding paper into the Epson R2880 not including the ability to print on CD's and DVD's

Sheet Feeder - This is the feed used primarily for plain paper. You can stack multiple sheets and it will feed them one at a time. Personally, I rarely use this as I use my R2880 almost exclusively for photo printing on fine art paper.

Single sheet guide - This is the method of feeding paper that I use 99% of the time. Unfortunately, this method is also the most finicky. Basically, you place a sheet of paper into the rear sheet feeder being careful to keep it up against the right guard rail. You push it down into the printer until it won't go any further and then hold it there until the printer senses it and pulls it a bit further into the printer. So far so good. When you print, the R2880 pushes the paper out a bit and does this back and forth thing. Then, if you're lucky, it will start printing. Once it actually starts printing then all is good. But, what happens to me 50% to 75% of the time is that the R2880 will do it's back and forth thing and then stop - the printer light will start flashing and the Epson status window will display an error. To address the paper feed error

  1. Press the paper eject button (the one on the far right) - the printer will eject the paper, be sure to pull the paper out the rest of the way so that printer sensor doesn't detect the paper.
  2. Press the paper button (the one on the far left) - it will go from blinking to steady
  3. Try feeding the paper again - if it takes then the printer will automatically start printing. But, it may take 2 or 3 tries (or more).
The media I have the most difficulty with is canvas. I bought a sample pack of Moab paper which included a sheet of their canvas. I don't know if it's too floppy or what, but the R2880 just couldn't grab it to pull it into the printer. Once I did finally get it to print, it printed crooked on the sheet. That's the only time I've had a problem with crooked printing.

Roll feeder - I've never actually used the roll feeder. Buying paper by the roll doesn't offer any real cost advantage over sheets; in fact, it can be more expensive per square inch. So, the only reason to use it is to be able to print non-standard sizes. For example, if you want to print at 12" x 24" then you really don't have any other choice. You'll also be limited on paper choices as most papers do not come in rolls. But, it's there if you need it.

Front sheet feed - this one is a bit of a mystery. Apparantly, you can only use the front sheet feed for Super B (13"x19") paper that is fairly thick - between 1.0mm and 1.3mm (according to the Epson R2880 User's Guide). That's actually quite thick for paper. To put it into perspective, that's just slightly thinner than mat board (which is 1/16" thick, or 1.5875mm). Even if you have paper that thick, you still can't use the front sheet feed if it is smaller than 13" x 19". Trying to use the front sheet feeder using any other size or thickness of paper is an exercise in frustration and futility. Been there - done that.

Printing on CD's and DVD's - I've never done it; so, I don't really have anything to say about it. If I ever do then maybe I'll come back and update this.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, you are correct that the 2880 Sheet Feeder can be testy at times. I found this to be the case with my old Epson R2400 as well. I would like to offer an alternative to your suggestion that seems to work consistently for me to rectify paper miss-feed jams. When the Epson Status Window appears, I simply click the option to delete the job (without pressing any paper eject buttons on the printer itself). When I do this, the paper will do its back and forth thing once again (probably fine tuning any paper alignment issues). I then go through the steps to reprint, which almost always works without any more jams. I like this method, because it prevents me from having to handle the paper any more than necessary. Not sure if this will work for you, but it may be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, this also works for me 90% of the time, although I tend to pause the job, let it adjust and then restart. or I'd be throwing mine through the window by now!! Does anyone know if the R3880 is as bad as I am contemplating one when this old thing comes to the end of her days.

      Delete
  2. So comforting to know other people have problems with this. I actually just avoid and dread printing, because trying to get it to take my Hahnemuhle paper (which is what I mostly use) is like pulling teeth. I get to my wits' end with the thing. So close to taking a hammer to it every time I try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased to hear that it is not only me that feels this way about my Epson - I too avoid having to use it. Though it has to be said when it does work the prints are excellent. However by then I have developed many more grey hairs.

      Delete
  3. same here and I've heard Epson charges and doesn't necessarily solve the problem?
    How about some of the authorized epson srepair services, any recommends?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Epson feeds the paper fine. The problem I'm having is it kicks the sheet over a bit towards the end of the printing process.This makes the bottom of my print crooked. I don't know how to address that issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It still works, my old R2880, even though I had to clean out almost a full set of color after getting it out of storage. But that sheet feeding, I go insane waiting for it to do what it does

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am yet another with the notorious paper feed problem.
    More specifically, the feeding of 4x6 stock which after years of working suddenly stopped.
    Tried the manual press paper down while restarting and that always works to grab/eject paper.
    Also, doing a nozzle check on Letter size also feeds.
    Only when inserting 4x6, my 90% task, it starts, doesn't grab and within 5 seconds gives me the flashing paper handling light.
    My EJECT button (left on top control buttons, to right of power button) does NOTHING when paper error orange flashes.
    Nothing ejects the paper, or even starts to.
    Yet, with a forced nozzle check on start up, it seems to do the print and feed right through.
    As for cleaning the rollers, well, there seems to only ONE roller on my R2880 to the far right.
    Its rubber and I tried cleaning wit alcohol and rotating as best I cold. Seems to stop after about 90 degrees.
    So, I'm totally flummoxed. After years of operation (low volume), it scares me to think it's ending its life.
    I can't afford the modern alternatives ... yet. Zero budget.
    Well, this gave me a reason to waste another 40 hours researching and meeting you'll.
    I'll now do some 4x6 tests with another roller clean or two.
    I'm also VERY surprised there is only ONE RUBBER roller at the far right.
    I also noticed the main action during feed is for the entire back plate behind the loaded paper pushes forward to press the paper against the roller. I think this may not be occurring when my 4x6 doesn't feed (99% of time now).
    Lastly, how does the orange paper feed error light/button work for you'll?
    When the paper feed fails, the button's light goes orange but pressing it does nothing.
    How is it supposed to work?
    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete